Sunday, September 11, 2016

Dear Reader,

I'm still here... I'm still around.  Yeah, I know that it's been a month or two since I wrote last.  But know this... the calendar by my desk here in Sinister Coffee Studios hasn't been changed since February.  I do things at my own pace, darn it!

It's been a weird day, but that in itself is a good thing.  Yeah, it's September 11th, and the fifteenth anniversary since the attacks on the World Trade Towers, the Pentagon and of Flight 93.  It feels like so much time has passed that there should be a certain level of closure that has occurred.  And yes, I think there is, at least for me.  But then, I work at the SLC International Airport.  That has it's own weight that comes down on everybody. 

This year, as has happened every year since the attacks, the TSA held a minute of silence/remembrance at the moment when the first flight crashed into the first tower.  It's an eerie experience for the busy, bustling airport to go silent.  I appreciate that this is something that's still observed. 

I guess I'm not quite ready to let go of the fear and sadness and uncertainty that was such a jolt to our systems so many years ago.  I appreciate now that I can go to my office and reflect in silence.  I take these moments to think about how I felt and how I reacted in the past, and how I want to proceed with my life from that time on.  It's good to slow down and appreciate what I have, knowing that it's really only possible to think this way after realizing what all we've lost.

No comments: